Friday, November 16, 2012

Big Sister Bully







My Sister is one of my very best friends. We are 15 months apart and growing up, we practically shared everything from clothes to cars to friends to the boys that we dated. Some would say that there was no way we could possibly be sisters because we were too good of friends. I have to say, my sister was a very good sport. It is true...we are the greatest of friends, but sometimes I question why. I was the Big Sister Bully that dictated the type of role she would play in all our imaginary schemes.

Let me describe to you what I mean. There was this one sit com "Gilligan's Island."

This was such a delightfully fun program that we would watch after school. The characters were 7 individuals stranded on a desert isle...the big rolly polly Skipper, the gangly doofus first mate Gilligan, the smart and handsome professor, the very wealthy elderly couple Mr. and Mrs. Howell, the beautiful Marianne and gorgeous movie star Ginger.


When we played, I was Marianne AND Ginger.

Michelle was Mrs. Howell.

Then there was Edgemont Gardens Elementary School. I was the young captivating Miss Kauer and Michelle was the weathered, grouchy, wrinkly, old Mrs. Rushton.
(Mrs. Rushton on the left)
The Beauty Pageants with the Moon girls also have bully written all over it. Dawn and myself were always the Beauty Queens. Adele and Michelle were the first runner ups. They may have received flowers, but they never wore the crown.

And guess what? She always happily played along.

So I ask myself, why? Why was I such a bully... always giving her the role of undesirable women (and pretend boyfriends) Why did I not only have to be one pretty woman, but all of them? I may never know. Maybe there was some jealousy. Clearly she was the better pianist, received 4.0 was the valdictorian
(My sister is the one to phone and update everyone, take initiative for family gatherings...)

and loved to do housework...so not me. Things come full circle. My Sister married first and with each passing day becomes even more beautiful than the day before.
(She raised two absolutely gorgeous beauty queens as well...Madeline and Jennifer)

She is the Marianne, the Ginger, the Mrs. Martin, the Miss Kauer, the Beauty Queens of this and the previous year all wrapped up into one.

 I love her.

No comments:

Post a Comment