Sunday, January 20, 2013

Lovely Tulips Never Die


There is nothing that can brighten up a room like yellow flowers. My co-teacher and friend in our room had brought back some of the most gorgeous tulips from an all too short weekend. The moment I walked into our classroom, I was cheered by the vase of yellow tulips. (My friend loves to work in her yard and garden. Her kind soul is always sharing her harvest with me...so this was not an unusual occurrence) I commented on their radiance. Her responce was simple, "I thought we could use a little color to brighten up the room." I agreed as I silently gazed...I just could not get over the perfection of the blooms. Thought: "I must bring my camera tomorrow...I hope they will last."
Sure enough, day two appeared every bit as exquisite as the day before. My friend was not in the room and so I took advantage of this photo opportunity. "Click" "Snap" "Click...Click Click" I did not dare touch them or rearrange them for fear petals would drop. I was more than pleased with the photographs I had taken. Day in and day out...the lovely tulips remained in their glory. I do not remember how many days had passed when I had walked over to see the tulips up close. As I glanced down I noticed that these flowers were not in a vase of water...but a vase of smooth stones !!! I still was not convinced. I timidly touched the petals and sure enough they were crispy, bendy, plastic flowers. I had been duped once again. 

First, it was the mockery and disbelief of my grandma watering a plant of plastic flowers so long ago. It was so obvious to me that her pot of flowers were an absolute imitation...plastic...fake. I could not get over the sheer amazement that she actually believed those flowers to be real. I did not have the heart to inform her. I knew the day of discovery was sure to come. I also knew I could never fall for something like that...plastic flowers. 

Then it was the wooden roses...I realized, no one was above trickery regardless of age and eyesight. 

It was beginning to shake my confidence. How many other imitations have I taken for real? Even as I type this, I wonder..."Were the rocks real or just fake?" I will have to check them on Tuesday.

I was beside myself in a humorous way to think that I really must be getting old. Later on during the week, the Groendyke family had gone downtown Salt Lake City. As we were passing one of the Trax Stops, I noticed the seagulls perched above. I commented to Noah..."look at all the birds waiting to ride the Trax." He replied, "Mom...those aren't real birds. Those are statues." My eyes remained fixated waiting for one of those darn birds to move. Nothing. As we passed other Trax Stops, I noticed the same arrangement of birds. "Really? Did I REALLY just believe they were real birds?" Once it had been pointed out, I was humbled with embarrassment. Now I began to question everything I saw. I was alone and driving waiting to get on the ramp to 215. I was stopped below the underpass. There above were perched several birds...none appeared to be moving. Thought: "No way...are you kidding me...they (whoever "they" are) place fake birds on the overpasses too? Just before the light turned green, I saw a few move. Now I felt silly that I thought the real birds were fake. How many times I had nonchalantly driven this route many times and never really paid that much attention to reality of the birds. I look over to the next car and wonder...do others spend there time thinking about these kind of things are do they even care?
Months later...I show up to work. The yellow plastic flowers remain in a vase of smooth rocks. I smile in part because they do brighten up the room, but mostly because of how captivated I was by what I thought was the beauty of nature. Admit it...they are lovely tulips.

No comments:

Post a Comment