Sunday, January 20, 2013

What the Nail?


Rarely do I get complimented on things of beauty but there are two things as of recent that have drawn the attention and request of others. My nails and my curled hair. I had pretty much given up on having the glamorous nails. I had certainly struggled in the past with my attempts to maintain and wear fake nails. I had a student that came to school each day with lovely nails. Her mother had the talent and ability to do them and without cost to my student. It was nearing the Christmas Season and I envisioned the crimson red, perfectly polished nails. I found myself strolling down the cosmetic aisles looking at the numerous sets of fake nails and polishes. Something caught my eye..."imPRESS nails." I was curious about this unusual package. As I read the instructions, I discovered that superglue was not even needed. With these nails, there was a sticker that peeled off the back and then was placed upon my real nail. I couldn't get over how easy and how beautiful these nails of mine appeared. People started to comment. I immediately shared my great find with those inquiring. I also included a tip of my own...
TIP: carry the extra nails in your purse and in the event of an emergency...some nail glue to replace one that may happen to lift. This was my insurance policy. For the most part, they rarely came off until I took them off...but there were two occasions that NAIL mishap found it's way back into my life.
The first one I am quite embarrassed to share. I had a deviated septum which required surgery years ago. Since then, my sinus' have become oh so dry. My Ear Nose Throat Doctor told me to take a swab and but bacitiracin inside the nostril. I had run out of swabs so I dabbed a little on my finger and yes placed it up inside my nostril. I went about my day. Later on, I looked down to discover that one of my nails was missing. I retraced every step wanting to fix those nails and return to glamor. Still, nothing appeared. It wasn't long before I wondered at the possibility of it coming off inside my nose. Surely I would know about that. But what if I didn't know...what would happen? Would it go to my brain? Would it travel my blood veins and plunge to my heart. I began to panic. There was only one thing to do...BLOW!!! I grabbed a kleenex and with all my might blew the heck out of my nose. Sure enough, there was the missing nail as bright and pretty as ever.
Weeks had passed. The nails still looked great. I even received a few extra sets and colors from Santa Claus in my stocking. Noah was in desperate need of some winter wear. His snow pants barely covered his knees. Rick knew of a place on State street. The family piled in the car and off we went. I could not get over all the fun and unusual things that were there to keep the body warm. Handmade Sherpa Hats, Avalanche Kits, Neoprene Face Masks, Toe Warmers, Lip Care and the like. I was especially intrigued by some hats and some gloves. I must have tried on a dozen pair of the most wonderful soft, warm, cozy gloves. If I had had the need and the extra funds...I would have purchased a pair right then and there...but we were here for Noah. On the ride home, I glanced down and once again...a missing nail. It would have been all too easy with all the slipping on and off of the gloves for a nail to come off with it. PIT in my stomach...some poor soul like me is going to be intrigued and try on numerous gloves. Some poor soul is going to discover someone elses missing nail in the finger of one of those gloves. Some poor soul is going to freak out and maybe complain to the store. Oh dread...when will I learn?

Apparently not anytime soon. I am sporting a black set of shiny nails even as I type.

No comments:

Post a Comment