Saturday, February 9, 2013

And I Speak Spanish...



I am what some would call a “people person.” 
I just plain love people and of every age, race, and background. I believe I learned that skill from my parents. 

If there is an opportunity to visit...I will. If I can find a way to make someone feel happy or do something meaningful for them, I do. If I can be clever and use my creativity in 
some way...hooray!

Working in the Concierge at the Marriott was the ideal job for me. I was to make the surroundings were pleasant, display a beautiful array of food and snacks for the guests, provide them with helpful information, answer questions about the area, fill the coffee maker, make dinner reservations, listen and visit... take a real interest in them, schedule appointments, smile, smile and smile some more. I enjoyed the job and the amazing people that I worked with each day.

One particular woman that I worked with was engaged...soon to be married to a handsome Hispanic man. He had come to spend a bit of time with her at the Marriott Concierge. I was introduced to him and then invited him to sit down and enjoy some of the evening’s hors d’ oeuvres. I was going to provide a 5 star hospitality to him. I felt that it was important to leave a good impression on others and so I would try to find a way to connect. I saw that the young man’s plate was empty. 
“Is there anything else that I can get for you...seconds of anything?” 

He was grateful and expressed his appreciation in a compliment towards me. “You are very kind and good at what you do.” 

 “How sweet” I thought, “Here is my chance to connect. I will return the gratitude for his kindness in his language rather than just a simple thank you. Then he will feel at ease and comfortable being in the lounge. My friend will be pleased that I have gone above and beyond to give quality service to her beau.” 

So with batting eyelashes and blushing cheeks, I replied, “Garcia.” He looked at me with questioning eyes and so I repeated even louder...”Garcia,” He was still puzzled and so I exclaimed,”You know Garcia...thank you.” His eyes opened wide and with a chuckle said, “You mean Gracias.” Oh my heck...of course I meant Gracias. Duh. I knew that. Gracias. Gracias. I say it all the time. How could I make this mistake?” Rather than laugh it off with the gentleman, I stood there in a stupor while my thoughts continued the dialogue that was playing out in my head,
 “Well, Garcia is close...almost the same letters and Garcia is also a wonderful Mexican Restaurant that my family frequents...so I can see the confusion...nope, not a good enough excuse for this blunder...Gracias...everyone in the whole wide world knows the word Gracias. Geez...I go out of my way to make a situation better, only to create a disaster on my part.”


I click back into reality to find that the heat in my face is now flushed with embarrassment. As I turn to walk away, my thoughts whisper in a rather mocking tone, “So much for making a great first impression thank you very much, or should I say Gracias very much or was it Garcia very much?” Maybe that is why I quiver to think of learning a second language... 

No comments:

Post a Comment