Saturday, February 2, 2013

Lice and Fire



. . . I had the good fortune of living downtown Salt Lake City in a high rise apartment...American Towers.The security was outstanding. There were Security Guards in the other tower, key cards for parking, door codes for guests or a call up to see if permission to enter is granted, security cameras and the like. What I did not know was that the door to my apartment was self locking. Whenever I left...I locked the door and carried my key. I dumped trash on my way out the door to work or run errands. I was under the assumption that I was the one locking the door and had never had an incident to prove otherwise.

I had completed the RID treatment check off list. I felt disheartened somewhat. It was an overwhelming process. I needed a distration and food sometimes did the trick. It was close to dinnertime and stir fry was on the menu. (I am not a great cook. period) As  I stood their waitning for the oil to heat...I glanced over to see numerous garbage sacks...some with clothes...some with garbage. I had concern that I might accidentally throw away my clothing and that now was the time to take out the garbage while it was fresh on my mind. I checked the contents of each sack. The garbage shute was directly across my apartment behind a white door that appeared to look like another apartment. It literally took seconds to throw my garbage away. So, I did just that...walked across the hall and voila. As I turned to return to my apartment, I heard a loud beeping. My thought..."Wow someone must be holding the elevator door open again." I placed my hand on the doorknob... strangely, it would not open. It was locked and I did not remember locking it.  The beeping noise seemed to be louder by my door...like from the other side of the door..."THAT IS MY FIRE ALARM!"
(image added only for effect. this is not my photo)

Panic coursed through my body...no cell phone in those days, no key to unlock my door and so I ran down the hall knocking on doors. Not a single person opened in my desparation. My only hope was security, but that would be an obstacle in and of itself:
   *wait for the elevator (I lived on th16th floor so stairs did not seem to be the first option)
   *hope no one else would stop the elevator on the way down
   *get out on the second floor and run like a mad woman to the other tower
   *wait for the North Tower elevator
   *arrive at the street level
   *recount the events to Security.
"My apartment is on FIRE! I am locked out! Help! One Security Guard called the Fire Department. I remember feeling so embarrassed. The other Security Guard ran back with me through the reverse order of the elevator process. By the time we returned to the apartment, the fire had burned out. The ceiling and walls were black. The apartment was smokey and gloom filled my being. It was then that I was informed about the self locking doors. With the key, I could move the lock so that it would not self lock. Yea for me!

The fireman still had to check out the place for sparks and things. One fireman saw that my bed was without sheets and bedding...just a towel at the head of my bed. He looked at me with questioning eyes..."The flu?" My downtrodden responce..."No...head lice." He was sorry he asked and I am sure wanted the quick exit.


The RID process was completed but now, I had walls and ceilings to wash and maybe paint. It was too much to bear for now. I went to my bed without sheets and fell asleep...but the story does not end here either...


No comments:

Post a Comment