Friday, August 17, 2012

Bay Leafs and Coffee

I had enjoyed the intensive training in becoming a Flight Attendant for Delta Airlines. There was a great deal to learn about the equipment, emergency procedures and then there were the drills and simulations . . . so cool. I was prepared . . . prepared for about everything but the main job we would be required to do . . . SERVE DRINKS!  I have no experience at all whatsoever with alcohol. I have heard of a gin and tonic, but when the pressure was on and I was at the cart . . . I did not know which of the two would come from the liquor kit. Was it gin or was it tonic?

My very first trip as full fledge Flight Attendant was with a senior crew. . . meaning, they were experienced and already familiar with each other from previous trips together. It was obvious that I was the rookie and knowing that, made me all the more nervous and self conscious. Thank goodness I had been assigned to Coach. First Class was high maintenance and I would not only have to serve alcohol,
but actually mix the drink.

A rather frantic Flight Attendant in Charge stomped his way through the curtain, "Listen love, I need to go take care of some tickets at the gate. I need you to cover for me in First Class." The dreaded pit in my stomach was manifested . . . a huge pit, but I complied. The engines were running which presented another problem . . . I couldn't hear what the passengers were requesting. I delivered a wine here, a coke there, and  a bloody mary garnished with a green lime. I felt ever so grateful that I did not have to deal with money and giving change.

The call light went on, I gracefully made way to a gentleman by the window. " I would like a baabwaaa eeee . . ." " Excuse me ? " I questioned. He repeated his order. I just could not seem to make out what he was saying. I was rather mortified that I would have to ask one more time. . . but ask I did. The passenger answered quite a bit louder, "I would like a bay leaf with my coffee!" "Very well," I said. Off I went to the galley repeating in me head so as not to forget . . . "a bay leaf with coffee . . . a bay leaf with coffee . . ." I looked in every drawer. I opened every compartment. I saw cherries, lemons, limes, olives, salt, pepper, napkins, but I could not find the bay leaf for the life of me. I did think it was an odd request given that my mother usually floated her bay leaf in minestrone soup or spaghetti sauce.

I began to panic and get flustered. Finally, the Flight Attendant in Charge appeared, "Is everything alright darlin'? " "Yes , but I can't seem to find a bay leaf anywhere." With buldging eyes he asked,"A what?" I repeated again and like the passenger, quite a bit louder  "a bay leaf! The man in 4a would like a bay leaf in his coffee!" I still remember the flippant body language that exuded from this Flight Attendant's being. Then in a very condescending tone and a rather disgusting look he said, "Are you for real? We do not stock bay leafs on the airplane darlin', are you sure he didn't say 'baileys ' and coffee? "The Flight Attendant in Charge went over to the passenger, apologized for the delay, and then asked him to repeat the requested drink. (The passenger must have been thinking . . . "forget it.") Sure enough, he had ordered a baileys with his coffee. I could hardly wait to be excused from First Class back where I could hide behind the partiton separating Coach from First Class.

This trip and crew could not end soon enough. It was one mishap after another and I began to question
my change of employment. A few years later, a more confident "me" went about my duties without a thought. It was common for the Flight Attendants on the jump seat (during take-off and landing) to exchange stories.  I happened to be sitting next to one such. In a moment of silence, I had told her that a passenger had asked me if I had knitting needles she could use. (Now I was the one that was now thinking, "Are you for real?") She would retort with another story and another and so forth. Then she said, "if you think that is bad, I heard about a Flight Attendant that looked for a bay leaf to float in someone's coffee!" I responded nonchalantly, "Unreal . . . you have got to be kidding." We shared a laugh, but my mind was thinking . . .  "How could I be so dumb that  my little incident was worthy of repeating and even more strange that it had made full circle and come back to jeer at me. Where else and with whom did this little goodie of a story circulate? "

I am no longer a Flight Attendant serving drinks in First Class (which may be to the company's advantage, ) but I do know now that a bay leaf in a coffee is not a well known or accepted drink . . . at least not for now. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment