Friday, August 17, 2012

I Won't Sugar Coat This...

Our great dane, Count Da Vinci d'amboise, has been an incredible challenge for me. I love the dog dearly and accept that he is a part of the family, but doggone it, if he has not done a number on the home, the carpet, our shoes, our yard...you get the idea. I call him the garbage dog. He waits until he thinks no one is looking his way. In a slow and sneaky manner, he finds his way to the garbage. His face practically fills the garbage can. He muzzles around licking off all the wrappers until he has found the perfect treasure.

Upon hearing, "Da Vinci, what are you doing?" He scuttles about and makes a mad dash for his kennel. Sometimes, we are in the other room and he will still sneak food into his kennel. He has eaten loaves of bread in one setting. He ate Rick's steak off his plate when our heads were turned. Don't even think about putting your hand in the kennel to retrieve the item. His growl is fierce and he shows his teeth. It can be frightening even though I know he is a gentle giant. He is just protecting his goods.

I do not know how many times Noah has had food nipped right our of his hand. Whenever there is food, we must take precautions. The other day, I had made french toast topped with a heaping pile of powdered sugar for Noah. "Don't let Da Vinci get your food. Keep an eye on him, he will get it." All was well. Noah finished his breakfast and was on his way to school. I had put away the food and wiped of the table.
Busy me, went to begin my day. After checking my emails, I walked into the kitchen. I noticed a strange dusty spots on the carpet. I couldn't make sense of it and so I looked harder. It appeared to be a paw print. I thought to myself, "I wonder what Da Vinci has stepped in now." Ding! The moment of reckoning...please tell me it is not the powdered sugar. I glanced to the table where the sugar had been left. Sure enough, the sugar wsa no where to be found.
I peered into Da Vinci's kennel. There was Da Vinci, sitting so innocently inside his kennel. He was covered in white powder. There below this big mass was a layer of powdered sugar and an empty plastic bag. This was only going to be the second time in the morning that Da Vinci's kennel had to be carefully cleaned.

From here on out, Da Vinci better be a super "SWEET" dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment