Friday, August 31, 2012

Hey Good Lookin

I was a shy young child. I had girls in the neighborhood that were great friends. They were not the problem. It was anyone outside that circle of friendship. We used to walk home daily from school and on Sundays, from church. Adele's home came first and then Nan's. I had to make the last few yards to my own home by myself. It usually was not a problem unless it was really dark or there was a strange dog. One Sunday, while walking home from church, I glanced in the distance and saw three teen boys. They were the hotties...older...much older and oh so cute. Desperately, I began to hope that they would finish their conversation and go inside. No such luck. I had just said good bye to Nan. I dreaded that I would have to make that walk alone past them. What would I say? Would I pretend that I did not see them? Was there an alternative route? Maybe...just maybe they would not notice me. No matter what, I had to keep going.

I put my head towards the ground. I felt the heat of embarrassment rise from toe to head. Each step closer meant increased panic. The walk seemed to be an eternity of steps. Then, as if in slow motion, their head turned my way. Dwayne put his fingers to his mouth and whistled. Rodney, in a rather flirty voice said, "Hey good-lookin...what ya got cookin?" It is in those moments that I worry about most...you just never know how I will handle an awkward situation. Before I could even think how to handle the compliment, like with grace and finesse, I blurted out a response. I can hear it still, "Hey good lookin, what ya got cooking?" "Lemon meringue pie" I had never baked a pie and of all the pies, why did I say lemon meringue...I was too young to operate an oven and yet it came out just as smooth and every bit as flirtatious as the way they had asked the question. This reaction seemed so foreign to my nature that I was even more self conscious. Not only did I talk with these "foxes" (what we used to call someone we thought was great looking as in "He is such a fox!") but I had to say something soooo stupid. I felt my comment made me appear far too arrogant...that I indeed was acknowledging that I was good-lookin by my quick response.

The words had been spoken. I could not take them back. I would see these hotties again at church  the following Sunday and most likely around in the neighborhood. They may have chuckled or found it humorous. . .I do not know . . . the last stretch home was a blur. I cannot look at or order  lemon meringue pie without thinking of Rodney, Bob, and Dwayne and hearing in my mind..."hey good lookin' what you got cookin'?" 

That last stretch home...

No comments:

Post a Comment